Monday, October 18, 2010

Dalai Lama to Speak to H.S. Students in England

OXFORD — Select students at Talawanda High School will attend the address by the 14th Dalai Lama at Miami University on Thursday, thanks to a close partnership between the two schools.
Seniors Lexie Withrow, Christina Lindner, Morgan Cox, Josh Owens and Dylon Kalous said they are anxious to learn more about the exiled leader of Tibet during his sold-out lecture “Ethics in a Modern World.”
“I’m hoping he’ll explain about himself and the history of what he does,” Withrow said. “I’m also excited for the question and answer session. It’s cool that he’s interested in what we think.”
“I’m really interested in Buddhism, so I hope I’ll get more insight about it,” Lindner said. “I also think it’ll be just a really cool experience in general, especially to see someone that esteemed.”
Cox said a lot of people could be inspired by His Holiness.
“I’d also like to learn more about Buddhism, and I have never seen anyone that’s as big of a historical icon, either,” she said.
Owens and Kalous said they don’t know much about His Holiness.
“I hope he’ll come explain about himself and tell what he’s trying to do ... but whatever he talks about really will be a cool experience,” Owens said.
Miami has listed prohibited items and other important information about attending the public address online at muohio.edu/dalai-lama.
Free tickets may still be available to view the lecture by video from other locations on Miami’s campus. For more information, visit tickets.muohio.edu.

No comments: