Thursday, March 11, 2010

It is Human to Fall when Arrogant

quest for spiritual enlightenment took Rajasekaran through the portals of several monastic establishments over the years that preceded his becoming Swami Nithyananda Paramahamsa. It was during his stay in one of the many mutts that I saw him. It must be more than 10 years ago.

He was undergoing training as a Brahmachari and I was a volunteer, visiting the mutt during my free time to help out the monks in the various public service activities.
Rajasekaran was the cynosure of all eyes due to his effervescence — always perky like a child.
Upon interacting with him I realised his intense spiritual quest. He spoke nothing other than spiritual matters. Most visitors felt he would grow up to be a spiritual master, which he did but much earlier than anyone anticipated.
Since I had interacted with him, I kept track of his growth as a religious leader, attracting devotees with his eloquence, charm and youthful energy, since he was very much in the media limelight, smiling from posters, newspaper advertisements and television screens.
I remember a few senior monks warning Rajasekaran against using siddhis. (Siddhi is the fruit of worshipping a particular deity continuously for attaining some skill.) Another learned monk, who is also well versed in astrology, had given a different warning: Rajasekaran might face danger in future because of a woman closely associated with his ashram activities.
I remembered that ‘warning’ on Tuesday night, when a Tamil television news channel started airing video clippings. I also felt sorry for him. For he had then come across as a genuine spiritual aspirant.
I wondered if his fall came about because he failed to follow some of the advice he was given at the mutt by true seekers of Truth, who do not seek publicity.

No comments: