Sunday, July 25, 2010

Bollywood Loves a Pretty Woman

Another South Indian screen-queen Trisha Krishnan is all set to invade Bollywood. And this Tamilian follows the trend of making her debut with a leading man far older than her.

However, after 43-year old Akshay Kumar, 27-year-old Trisha’s co-star will be the 24-year-old Pratik Babbar.

Says Trisha, “My second Hindi film is a love story with just me and the guy in central roles. It’s a subject that can’t go wrong. I’ve already done the Tamil version of this film (Vinnaithaandi Varuvaaya) and now, the same director (Gautham Menon) is remaking it in Hindi with Pratik Babbar and me. I think we should be kick-starting it in August. I am excited because unlike Khatta Meetha, where I don’t have a central part, this one has a central role for me.”

Trisha sounds wiser than her years when she says, “It was important for me to line up a second Hindi film before the first was released.”

Trisha actually confesses she had her lines in Hindi dubbed for her first film. When you tell her that Akshay Kumar said that she spoke Hindi well, Trisha laughs it off. “Did he say that? I must thank him. The truth is, I was a bit nervous about doing my own lines in Hindi. I’ve done so many Telugu films. But I don’t know the language at all. I know the grammar in Hindi but I can barely manage to speak it.”

She continues, “In Chennai, no one talks in Hindi. I was a little worried about my Hindi since my character in Khatta Meetha is from a fluent Hindi-speaking belt. So both Priyan and I decided I wouldn’t dub my own lines. But, I know I’ll soon master it. It’s simpler than the south Indian languages.”

She adds, “I was busy doing Tamil and Telugu films that I didn’t get time to consider Hindi films although offers did come. Also, I wanted to do something that would give me a wide audience. I chose Priyadarshan and Akshay Kumar. It can’t get any more mass than that. Their combination always works.”

Trisha is candid enough to admit she doesn’t have that much to do in the film. “It isn’t a heroine-centric role. But I felt it would give me visibility. Look, I may be known in the South. But in Bollywood, no one knows me ... . not yet. I just wanted to be seen. When I started in the South, I did smaller parts with big heroes. That always worked for me. One needs to be a part of hit films, specially at the start.”

Priyadarshan is Trisha’s Christopher Columbus. “He launched me in the south seven years ago. Now, he’s launching me in Hindi. He had promised that he’d launch me in the right vehicle. I want to first make sure I establish myself in Hindi before I do more experimental roles. This is the trend I followed in the South as well.”
She’s pretty cool about the age difference.

After all, she was recently shooting for Manmadhan Ambu in Europe in which her co-star is the 55-plus Kamal Haasan. She says, “Shooting with Kamal sir and Maddy was great fun.” Trisha is also ready to settle down in Mumbai. “It would depend on the offers. Though my family won’t move out of Chennai, I’m hardly in one city anyway.”

No comments: