Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Camden Spiritual Path

FROM his lofty and sweeping outlook over Camden, St John’s Anglican Church minister the reverend Tony Galea admits he is in a privileged position - both physically and spiritually.

He is the custodian of one of the Macarthur region’s most imposing heritage buildings and also responsible for the spiritual well-being of many of Camden’s residents.

Mr Galea does not take the dual role lightly.

“It’s a beautiful building and the heritage of the Macarthur family,” he said. “It’s the church on the hill that everyone sees . . . the highest point in Camden.

“I like to think, without showing off, that it gives some sort of leadership for the community.

“I feel very privileged being in this position.”

It wasn’t that many years ago that Tony Galea was a self-employed electrician who “sort of bundied on” at church every Sunday.

“I never really thought about what I was doing or why I was there,” he explained.

It was at a church service one day that his life took a dramatic turn.

“I heard a message that was very challenging and encouraging. It revolved around being forgiven and the hope of heaven,” Mr Galea said.

“Over the next couple of years I was challenged to tell that to other people; it moved me towards going into a ministry.

“The whole idea of seeing people with purpose and passion really excited me. I felt God wanted me to help people in these areas.”

Mr Galea began studies at Sydney Missionary Bible College then Moore College. During that time he and wife Debbie, both semi-professional musicians, helped support themselves by playing two or three nights a week at clubs or weddings.

The couple is now into their 10th year at Camden, after eight years in Beverley Hills.

Mr Galea admits the make-up of the Camden community - largely Anglo-Saxon - is different to Beverley Hills - a lot of Chinese - but the needs of the people are the same.

“I love Camden so much. It’s a great place to live, great for families and a good place to grow up in,” he said.

“It’s different to Beverley Hills ... but no matter who you are people still need the Lord in their lives. Ministry is still the same thing: giving people lives of purpose and hope.”

Camden’s predominance of Anglo-Saxon residents came into play during the Islamic school debate, a feverish time in the community which pitted Christians against Muslims, residents against outsiders and progress against the status quo.

Mr Galea found it hard not to become involved, especially when his parishioners asked for guidance.

“I just wanted to make it clear that the Islam ideology would change Camden. That was all we wanted to point out,” he said.

But it was the discovery of the new-born baby at Camden’s waste disposal depot that revealed the true soul of St John’s, when Mr Galea gave the child’s life purpose through prayer and unconditional love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not sure where to post this but I wanted to ask if anyone has heard of National Clicks?

Can someone help me find it?

Overheard some co-workers talking about it all week but didn't have time to ask so I thought I would post it here to see if someone could help me out.

Seems to be getting alot of buzz right now.

Thanks